[BitTorrent] bt2 protocol features

Bram Cohen bram at bitconjurer.org
Thu Jun 3 02:05:37 EDT 2004

Blue Boar wrote:

> The peers could provide a list of root hashes for other files they have
> (all of?  Parts of?) ?  And the primary tracker URL for each hash?
>
> Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "cross-torrent trading"?

When peers connect to each other they'll both all announce the individual
files that they have. Tracker announces will probably give a unique
identifier for an entire multifile - trying to get too clever with that
could get quite complicated, and is likely to be unproductive.

> > The main sticking point left is how to deal with piece sizes - ideally all
> > peers should be using the same piece size, but whether that's a good thing
> > to require and if so (or even if not) how to set it I'm not sure of yet.
>
> If the piece size(s) were power of 2 multiples of each other, would it
> make that big of a deal?

That's one possible approach, but it's a whole lot of extra logic for an
unclear benefit.

-Bram