[BitTorrent] Bittorrent as a large-scale software distribution system

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Tue Jun 8 13:39:23 EDT 2004

Alright, about using BT as an alternative to FTP mirroring.

If you mean using special clients as alternative trackers, you're probably
looking into something that isn't necessary. Even at 10k peers, a typical
business-level webserver can handle the load without even flinching.

Piece sizes are pretty easy to handle. Even at a piece sizes varying from
between 256k and 2m I was able to maintain upstream of about 1.5mbyte/sec on
a laptop uploading to a desktop over a 100mbit lan in a controlled
environment.

BitTorrent's transfer rate potential (I say potential because I know that
real life doesn't work that way) grows exponentially as the swarm grows with
each client becoming a partial mirror as it gets new pieces.

Using BitTornado and its variants are how I tested the transfer rates. Using
Super-Seed mode from those clients during initial uploading will increase
the overall speed of the swarm greatly since rarest pieces are sent out
first, generating new seeds as early as uploading 550mbyte for a 500mbyte
file in my test environments.

A 100mbit BT seed with 10 simultaneous uploads can generate higher overall
transfer speeds as compared to a 100mbit FTP server with 10 connections
(properly configured and uploading to the same initial downloader base).