[BitTorrent] bt2 protocol features

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Jun 2 21:14:32 EDT 2004

> From: Bram Cohen <bram at bitconjurer.org>
> a beefed up peer protocol - there are some subtle changes to the state
> machine planned, which are strict improvements but kind of involved so
> I'll skip over them now. Also peers will announce which files they want to
> enable cross-torrent trading. Finally, announcements of having parts of
> pieces will be added, since that's enabled by hash trees. Doing that last
> part well requires some smarts, but again the smarts don't change the
> protocol so I'm punting.
>
> The above are the things I'm convinced are a good idea. Notably missing is
> gossip. Too dangerous, may be added later via an extension mechanism.
>
> The main sticking point left is how to deal with piece sizes - ideally all
> peers should be using the same piece size, but whether that's a good thing
> to require and if so (or even if not) how to set it I'm not sure of yet.
> Also I'm not sure how to make trackers support scrape functionality (or
> more to the point, I'm not sure how much scrape functionality to carry
> over, and in what way). Other than those issues all that's left is a whole
> mess of details.

Related thing, how about peers refering to pieces *strictly* by hash?
This adds to anonimity by allowing for lack of a better term, better
"zombie" clients that simply obey instructions to get such pieces via
such and such a tracker. This could be used by a group of peers with a
high-bandwidth secondary connection (such as 802.11, or sneakernet), and
allowing the clients to get files much more quickly while the "zombie"
clients can have full deniability (without knowledge of how to reassemble
pieces, they cannot know what they're getting).