[BitTorrent] Re: bt2 protocol features

antipast0 at yahoo.com antipast0 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 11:27:28 EDT 2004

I agree... Come up with those trees, or have variable block size. I
know there was a voodoo science of BT not being reasonable for very
small files < 5k... At that size, what is the bottle-neck?
The .torrent could be bigger than 5k...

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Marcel Popescu" <mdpopescu at y...>
wrote:
> From: "Vitenka" <vitenka at n...>
>
> > > MD5 and SHA1 are especially designed to be collission
resistant. As a
> > > result, the change you find a collission (two different inputs
with the
> same
> > > output) is almost 0.
> >
> > Ok, resistant yes, impossible no.  A given hash size has only a
finite
> > number of possible hashes.
> > However - under the new system it is not finding a piece of data
for a
> > given hash that is the problem.
> > It is finding two pieces of data which happen to share a hash.
This is