[BitTorrent] Re: bt2 protocol features

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Thu Jun 10 17:09:16 EDT 2004

>From: Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>
> Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> >>From: Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>

> >>You'd have to send more HAVEs and you need more hashes.
> >
> > Yes, but how large is that? 8-12 additional bytes is not much additional
> > data unless you're sending out *lots* of them (either a tiny block size
> > or a massive number of peers).
>
> Or both.
> What's your definition of a tiny block size?
> And of a massive number of peers?

Well, I've already pointed out that for 256K blocks (current default for
the mainstream) and 50 peers (towards the upper end for the mainstream),
the overhead is less than 0.5% of the size of the payload.

So looking at the worst case. Is 100 peers and 16KB chunks a sufficiently
ridiculous for you? At this point we get 1 REQUEST message, 1 PIECE
message, and 100 HAVE messages for each chunk. So an additional 1632
bytes of overhead will be used, for a little less than 10% additional
overhead for a *really* bad case.

Of these two numbers I think the first (0.5%) is the better estimate,
since with 16KB chunks the BT protocol overhead is already huge (on the
order of 25% overhead by itself, without this feature; both are dying
because of all the HAVE messages). Is this sufficient to settle bandwidth
being an issue?

> > So I'll admit care will be needed, but care will be needed anyway. If
> > some requirement makes it absolutely impossible, _then_ this will need to
> > be removed. Until that time do you object to this remaining an idea to
> > _try_ to put in place?
> >
> No.

Why not? This seems like a pretty simple and reasonable idea.