[BitTorrent] Re: download never completes: failed hash check

user86 user86 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 13:32:30 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 11:54 am, wd3004 wrote:
> I have the same problem with a download (mad max 2) at this moment.
> I've re-downloaded one piece for more than 100 times already. Since
> there are more people stuck at 99.9%, I think it's more likely that
> there's someting wrong with the file itself (and not with the
> hardware you're using). I'm using a router and I've downloaded a lot
> of Gigabytes already. I've seen a lot of failed hash checks, but
> they were only temporaryly. I never had this problem before.
> I've tried to download the file for a 2nd time, but it's exactly the
> same piece that gives the failed hash check.
> For the particular file I'm trying to download, the seeder's gone.
> I guess reseeding should solve the problem...
> For me, skipping the "rotten" piece would also help, but I don't
> know how to manipulate the avi-file.
> Wijnand

If every peer is stuck at 99%, it is quite possible that the original seeder
changed a 2nd file of the torrent and never sent an updated torrent with the
updated hashes.  That file could be a thumbnail file (thumbs.db) or a text
file included or something like that.  I've rarely heard anyone report being
stuck at 99% on a single file torrent unless it is a router issue.  If your
bittorrent client is BitTornado, you can click "Advanced" then "Finish
Allocation" and the video file should then hopefully be playable.