[BitTorrent] been gone - what's up with this tracker?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Sat Jun 5 16:00:42 EDT 2004

Mirar wrote:

> Anyway, I couldn't find a spec for the compact answer either - my
> google-fu totally failed me - but it wasn't that tricky to figure out
> once I got the hint on gzip. :-)

Unfortunately the Wiki needs a little updating with all these extensions
that are in use.  I've been meaning to try to get around to it some
time.  At the moment the only documentation for them are basically the
changesets in CVS.  The ones I'm aware of are:

- "compact=1" extension which is used in the mainline code
- "no_peer_id=1" extension used in John's experimental branch (the
predecessor to 'compact')
- the simultaneous "announce and scrape" that the Azureus people
implemented
- the "scrape multiple specified info_hash's" that ??? implemented
(probably azureus again)

With the compact protocol, if "compact=1" is included by the peer as a
URL parameter, it means that instead of a bencoded list of peers and
peer_ids, the tracker instead will return a list of peers encoded in
binary, 6 bytes per peer.  The first 4 are the IP and the last two are
the port, eg 1.2.3.4:80 -> 0x01 0x02 0x03 0x04 0x00 0x50.  That's it, no
header, no peer_id, etc.  If the client instead includes "no_peer_id=1"
then it means that it still expects a bencoded response, but the
peer_id's may be omitted to save space.

Brian