[BitTorrent] Re: bt2 protocol features

Stephen Thomas flabdablet at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 18:42:04 EDT 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Gregory P. Smith" <greg at e...> wrote:
> fwiw, its been done in the mojonation project (a large source of
> inspiraton for Bram to have bittorrent to lack complexity ;) and its
> successors mnet & hivecache.

As far as I can tell from a cursory scan of the mnet docs, mnet
doesn't use a tree of hashes at all, and does a lot of fooling around
with redundancy coding and encryption.  Its focus appears to be on
content deniability and robustness against parts of the swarm going
missing; valuable features for people interested in ripping off
copyrighted stuff, or publishing in the face of repression, but
overkill for general content storage/distribution.

The kind of thing I'm dreaming of is not intended to have any more
privacy than FTP.  I think Bram's basic approach of making the
original publisher ultimately responsible for content availability is
perfectly fine, and his tit-for-tat sharing policy is brilliant
(micropayments shmicropayments!).

I still think a relatively pure hash tree system could be made simpler
than BT as it stands, while still working at least as well on the
wire, being a bit more ISP-friendly and allowing storage space savings
by content sharing.  As I said before, though, it is only at the
dreaming stage - I have yet to write a scrap of code.

Cheers