[BitTorrent] Problems with btlaunchmanycurses (still)

Todd A. Jacobs nospam at codegnome.org
Wed Jun 23 15:50:21 EDT 2004

I've posted about this before, but I'm still having problems. The
environment is Fedora Core 1, with kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, Python
2.2.3, and BitTorrent-3.4.2.

The following command:

    nice -n19 btlaunchmanycurses.py . --max_upload_rate 1 \
    --display_interval 1 --check_hashes 1

behaves more or less as expected, except that:

    - CTRL-C doesn't work properly (usually requires a killall -9 python
      to exit)
    - Adding/removing torrents in the directory doesn't get properly
      noticed by the application
    - Upload rates for each torrent almost always exceed the requested
      amount by about 0.5 Kbps

In many cases, I'm finding it easier to just launch btdownloadcurses on
mutliple screens instead, which should *not* be the case. Some advice,
pointers to patches, or whatnot would be highly appreciated.

Also, a suggestion: it would be nice if max_upload_rate could apply
towards ALL downloads, and be evenly divided by the application. In
other words, specifying 10Kbps, and letting the application figure out
the percentage to allocate to each running torrent, since btlaunchmany
can be handling fewer or greater torrents at any one time, and it would
be nice to set a total bandwidth allocation, rather than a per-torrent
one.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/