[BitTorrent] bt2 protocol features

Vitenka vitenka at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 5 17:33:40 EDT 2004

> Related thing, how about peers refering to pieces *strictly* by hash?
> This adds to anonimity by allowing for lack of a better term, better
> "zombie" clients that simply obey instructions to get such pieces via
> such and such a tracker. This could be used by a group of peers with a
> high-bandwidth secondary connection (such as 802.11, or sneakernet), and
> allowing the clients to get files much more quickly while the "zombie"
> clients can have full deniability (without knowledge of how to reassemble
> pieces, they cannot know what they're getting).

I'm not sure that just a hash with no further information is sufficient
to uniquely identify a chunk.
There are only so many hashes possible - and although it is a large
number - if you don't know which piece of a file it is, or which file it
is a part of then you are increasing the chances of a bad match quite a lot.

And since it matches the hash, there'd be no way to know that the data
was bad until you had the whole file and it failed to run (or whatever)