[BitTorrent] Re: Problems with RAM "overuse" by the BitTorrent client

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Wed Jun 9 14:31:18 EDT 2004

mat_bos wrote:

> I had these problems with only one file (4,2 GB). When i started the
> donwload the ram used procentage kept rising until it hit the 95%.
> After that, every application i opened was slowed down as much as i
> would be working on 10 yr old machine. When i used ram freeing tool,
> it freed 70% of the ram and until it was full again, applications
> worked (almost) normally. for me, this isn't normal.
> but, i downloaded that file and now i don't have any problems with
> torrent now.

It's perfectly normal if you understand how a file cache is supposed to
work.  "Free RAM" is wasted RAM.  The operating system's job is to use
RAM as effectively as possible, and when an application begins reading
many megabytes of data from disk (such as the hash check when you resume
a transfer) then it allocates free RAM to the disk cache.  After the
hashing finishes everything should go back to normal as the OS will
purge any pages used as cache when an application demands more RAM.  If
you really want to you can use a tool such as 'cacheset' from
sysinternals.com to force the system to relinquish the disk cache back
to the free pool, and you will see your nice happy free RAM amount
skyrocket.  But RAM that isn't doing anything is wasted RAM...

Brian