[BitTorrent] Re: Falsifying uploaded and downloaded amounts?

Michael iameatingcrackers at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 14:48:20 EDT 2004

Thanks for the replies.

Instead of waiting for these "bad" leecher clients to surface, maybe
this is an area in which the standard bittorrent protocol should be
extended?

Would it not be possible to have each peer submit to the tracker the
amount of data they have received from each peer they have downloaded
from?

Then a tracker could look at the share ratio that a given peer has
supplied compared to the data that came in from all the peers who
have downloaded from the given peer and attempt to find discrepancies
that would give away leechers using "bad" clients.

Or is it the popular opinion that this isn't an issue of any
importance?

Of course, with that solution, it would be possible for someone with
malicious intent to write a client that would be able to tell the
tracker they have received nothing from a certain peer.

Anyone have any thoughts?