[BitTorrent] Re: bt2 protocol features

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Thu Jul 15 19:55:41 EDT 2004

> >From: Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>
> > > Another group. Any structural changes to one effects the other. If hash
> > > mode was used, ordering by the arithmetic order of the hashes makes more
> > > sense, otherwise no real comment. I like grabing a byte in the BITFIELD
> > > message to designate the hash-type in use, as opting for SHA256 is a
> >
> > Shouldn't that be put in the .torrent instead of in the BITFIELD msg?
>
> For the torrent yes, but that isn't the only place where that information
> needs to be. With a multi-file peer protocol you might be handling
> torrents that use different hashes, so the protocol packets would need to
> identify which was in use (yeah I glossed over this).

You know from the torrent id what hash it would be using in this case.

The only issue is that the identifiers for torrents and clients "happen" to
be the same size as the hashes for pieces. Not that important though.

You could type all strings as being particular hash types in the bencoding
but you could run out of bits.