[BitTorrent] UPnP

combatgold1 Admin at combatgold1.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 00:11:09 EDT 2004

I am just wondering if BitTorrent supports Universal Plug 'n' Play for
routers, because I don't really want to open ports for each IP on my
LAN that uses BitTorrent, and then changing which IP uses the range
when we want to download. Bit silly really, because this also means
only 1 pc can use bittorrent properly, and UPnP would greatly solve
many problems here.

For those of you that don't know what UPnP is, UPnP (Universal Plug
and Play) makes connecting PCs of all form factors, intelligent
appliances, and wireless devices in the home, office, and everywhere
in between easier and even automatic by leveraging TCP/IP and Web
technologies. UPnP can be supported on essentially any operating
system and works with essentially any type of physical networking
media – wired or wireless. UPnP also supports NAT Traversal which can
automatically solve many NAT unfriendly problems. By UPnP,
applications assign the dynamic port mappings to Internet gateway and
delete the mappings when the connections are complete.