[BitTorrent] Implementing Vivaldi?

John Prevost j.prevost at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:00:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:59:31 -0500, jamuraa at base0.net <jamuraa at base0.net> wrote:
  {...}
> Peer latency discovery systems have been deemed not useful for the
> BitTorrent application, because we are not concerned with latency as
> much as we are pure bandwidth.
  {...}

It's also worth noting that the existing behavior of the protocol also
adapts to changing availability well.  If you have two peers talking
together on a fat pipe they're going to end up exchanging all of the
data they have fairly quickly.  At that point, the standard choking
algorithm will discover that they're not getting much data any more,
and they'll end up talking to other peers.  After a while, they'll
hook back up again and catch up.  Any mechanism that aims to prefer
"closer" peers is going to wreak havoc with this mechanism.

In short: bittorrent clients adaptively find the peers that can send
the most data at any given moment, and that's good.

John.