[BitTorrent] Falsifying uploaded and downloaded amounts?

Arvid Norberg c99ang at cs.umu.se
Wed Jul 14 14:58:15 EDT 2004

Michael wrote:
> When a client sends their amounts that have been uploaded and
> downloaded to a tracker, couldn't that be easily falsified?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking of starting a tracker
> that would somehow reward the people with the best share ratio every
> month & ban the leechers.

I think it's a very bad idea to try to use that information for other
things than statistics. Punishing people will just speed up the
development of clients that send false numbers, and there's no question
about wether such clients will be developed or not.

Then the upload and download amounts can't even be trusted for
statistics, and become worthless.

--
Arvid Norberg