[BitTorrent] Re: Really random?

shad0wmatt3r mgp at ucla.edu
Sat Jul 17 14:37:07 EDT 2004

Hi Arvid,

Quick question... Does this algorithm garuantee that by the time the
nth piece comes in, that every piece received whose index is < n is in
its correct (final) position on the hard drive? I'm interested in an
efficient way to maintain this invariant.

The simplest algorithm I could come up with that doesn't pre-allocate
the entire file before downloading and sorts as the file as it is
written follows below. It does not, however, adhere to the invariant
mentioned above -- on the average, it tends to do more sorting as the
file nears completion.

*** BEGIN PYTHON CODE ***

from random import shuffle

def addToFile(next_piece_index, next_piece):
	global completed_file, piece_map, pieces_completed, max_shifts

	while next_piece_index < pieces_completed:
		old_piece_index = piece_map[next_piece_index]
		old_piece = completed_file[next_piece_index]
		piece_map[next_piece_index] = next_piece_index
		completed_file[next_piece_index] = next_piece
		next_piece_index = old_piece_index
		next_piece = old_piece

	piece_map[pieces_completed] = next_piece_index
	completed_file.append(next_piece)
	pieces_completed += 1

initial_file = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
piece_order = range(len(initial_file))
shuffle(piece_order)

completed_file = []
piece_map = [-1] * len(initial_file)
pieces_completed = 0

for next_piece_index in piece_order:
	addToFile(next_piece_index, initial_file[next_piece_index])

print 'completed file = ' + ''.join(completed_file)

*** END PYTHON CODE ***

Note that the "file" is just the string 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',
where each letter represents a piece.

Thanks,
Michael