[BitTorrent] Upload limit

Richard Reich richard-reich at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 23:03:34 EDT 2004

I apologize in advance for what will be a trivial question for most
here.  I've looked here, googled, etc., and been unable to find a
satisfactory answer.

The Azureus wiki states:

"Bittorrent is based on a simple rule: "No uploading = no
downloading". Or something like that. This rule is included in every
client to keep the Bittorrent downloads working. So a lot of people
say "The more you upload, the more you download", but that is not
exactly correct. In fact, if your upload is exhausted from sending
data, you cannot download anything because the connections will
collapse."

No kidding.  I have played with this a lot and there is no doubt it's
true.  But why?  I understand about up-traffic stifling down-traffic
ACK packets, but I have traffic-shaped ACK packets to the front of
the line, and nothing happens (in fact I think it makes the problem
worse, but I'm not certain of this).

Can someone explain to me what's going on here.  Simply restating that
"downloading chokes uploading" is not the answer I'm looking for.  I
know it's true.  I want to know exactly why.

Thanks to anyone with a satisfactory explanation!