[BitTorrent] Falsifying uploaded and downloaded amounts?

Kevin Smathers kevin at ank.com
Wed Jul 14 15:16:47 EDT 2004

Michael wrote:

>When a client sends their amounts that have been uploaded and
>downloaded to a tracker, couldn't that be easily falsified?

It is trivial.  For a proof of concept see the '-e' (exaggerate) option
of my btget client (see below) within the LibBT distribution.   Within
the protocol the only effective way to promote share and share alike is
through the peer-to-peer protocol, not through the tracker.  One
strategy for example would be to pace distribution of packets from your
canonical peer to the net distribution rate of the network so that the
last packet is sent out only as a majority of peers become close to
completion.

>'The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking of starting a tracker
>that would somehow reward the people with the best share ratio every
>month & ban the leechers.

An outright ban would just cause the clients to very quickly introduce
the needed workarounds.  If you were going to do something like this at
all, I would (a) not advertise it, and (b) make the service differences
very subtle -- by, say, connecting leechers only to other leechers.

--
Look ma, no threads[1].
[1] BitTorrent in C is http://www.sf.net/projects/libbt