[BitTorrent] TCP NAT Traversal

Saikat Guha sg266 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 16 21:11:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 23:03 -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> First, the world does not run on M$ product.

The current test is to first assess what percentage of NATs our
technique can work with. A second goal is to find what percentage of
Windows users will benefit from it since the technique works just fine
under Linux. It is Windows that has been giving us all the headaches
headaches.

> Your energy would likely be very much better spent on getting IPv6
> deployed and getting rid of NAT. This solves all the problems,
> rather than just a few special cases.

Much as I would hope, IPv6 won't solve all the problems. Even if IPv6
were to be universally deployed some day, people (and organizations)
will still have firewalls that forbid incoming connections but allow
outgoing connections. Even when both hosts are willing to be the ones to
make that outgoing connections, the other side's firewall would drop
it.

--
Saikat