[BitTorrent] Re: Free rider problem

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Dec 27 11:19:14 EST 2004

guanying_wang wrote:

> Thank you for reply.  Forget about my solution, since it's so
> vulnerable.  How about the FREE-RIDER problem I mentioned?  I can get
> everything without uploading a bit!

Sure you can.  No one has ever doubted that you couldn't hack up a
version of some client that wouldn't upload.  The point you're missing
is that you will be down at the bottom of other peers' priority lists
because you aren't sending anything to them.  That doesn't mean that you
won't receive anything, just that the other peers that are actually
uploading will get higher priority than you.  I don't see what the
problem here is, the system is still working as designed.

Brian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM