[BitTorrent] The BitTorrent P2P file-sharing system | The Register

Johan Pouwelse peer2peer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 13:29:16 EST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:55:48 +0000, Vitenka <vitenka at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Bill Cox wrote:
> > "We believe that all current implementations of the BitTorrent protocol
> > exhibit a fundamental design flaw. Currently peers are punished for
> > seeding, as their Internet connections are then used at maximum capacity
> > to the significant benefit of other (downloading) peers. Instead of
> > punishing seeders, peers should be given an incentive to seed, possibly
> > at a bandwidth of their own choosing."
> Apparently he's missed the bit where you can, you know, set your own
> bandwidth limit?

Yes indeed, I know you can set the max_upload speed in many clients.
However, clients should make a distinction between max_upload speed
when downloading and max_seeding speed when bandwidth is given away
for free in my opinion. Due to severe space limitations this nuance is
not included in the 6 page analysis, but I will add this later.

> Although it WOULD be nice to get upload 'credit' for one file on the
> next file you download - but it's not ALL that likely that the peer list
> will overlap and any system of transferring credits would probably be
> quickly abused.

Measurements of the 'Torrentbits.org pirate site' show that if you
only allow people with a upload/download ratio of >1 on Pirate sites,
this results in a factor of 5 more seeds.
Torrentbits is (was) just a central point to keep such 'upload credit' accounts.

Greetings,
Johan Pouwelse

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM