[BitTorrent] BT repeater?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Dec 8 18:43:29 EST 2004

>From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent.net>
> That's probably the closest you're going to get unless you write
> something yourself.  The vast vast majority of BT users have some
> interest in the files they've downloaded, i.e. they are primarily
> interested in the files for the files' sake, not for helping other
> people get them.  They wouldn't be interested in a "program to use up
> your upload rate without resulting in a useable download in return"-type
> of thing.  If they care about helping they'll just keep the files around
> after completing to seed.  I just don't see this as being in very high
> demand, and what demand there is can be filled by ordinary seeding
> practices.

Exactly my objection to this proposal. There is another thing that can be
done with merely client modification and will achieve some of the
effects.

Cooperatives of downloaders with members that are active at different
times of day could be formed. When one member wishes to obtain a torrent
their client talks to the others' machines and the entire group starts
downloading the torrent. The other members send their pieces off to the
originating member.

This greatly benefits a group with highly asymetic bandwidth, as during
their brief activity periods the members can harness very large upload
bandwidth. The downfall is that each member only contributes 50% of their
bandwidth when they're inactive. A member that was active all the time
doesn't help much. If the group members also have common interests the
slave clients can also cache pieces and save subsequent members a lot of
time. Also in this scenario, if a secondary channel is available (most
likely sneaker connection), then they don't even need to be inactive
during others' downloads.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM