[BitTorrent] Trackerless BitTorrent

Apostol Apostolov raynerape at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 06:36:29 EST 2004

> Can't that be solved by keeping track of all IP addresses you received,
> connecting at least once to all, fetching their peer list and then connect
> at random to let's say 50 peers of your own list?
> This idea would at least improve the situation in which the tracker goes
> down but you already have a list of peers and it'd increase the discovery
> rate after you first start without abusing the tracker.

I don't know for certain, but I think there is already an extension of
the bT protocol, called get_peer/peers, used by bitSpirit and some
other client I cannot recall now, that does exactly the same - source
exchanging with other peers. So if you download a torrent and the
tracker is down, all you need is to add the IP of one bitSpirit client
that have been connected for long enough, and it will provide IP of
the remaining users. I hope something similar is adopted by the
classic bitTorrent protocol, so other clients could easily implement
it without coming up with separate solutions.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM