[BitTorrent] BT repeater?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Wed Dec 8 12:22:26 EST 2004

smilindog2000 wrote:

> BT suffers from a basic problem: down-loaders of big files typically
> leave the torrent after downloading.  This leads to an average
> upload/download ratio of at around 1/1.  Since most of us upload much
> slower than we download, this is bad.

You can sort-of approximate this with some existing clients, e.g Azureus
already has the queue prioritization logic to join the 'n' most needy
swarms of however many torrents it knows about, using occasional scrapes
to check seed/peer counts.  You could then enable incremental file
creation mode and set a very low download limit, and start a torrent.
It will download the pieces based on priority (or whatever piece-picker
Az has, but most likely priority) and since there's a download limit the
rate that new pieces complete will be very slow but it will be able to
upload pieces that it has completed at full speed.

That's probably the closest you're going to get unless you write
something yourself.  The vast vast majority of BT users have some
interest in the files they've downloaded, i.e. they are primarily
interested in the files for the files' sake, not for helping other
people get them.  They wouldn't be interested in a "program to use up
your upload rate without resulting in a useable download in return"-type
of thing.  If they care about helping they'll just keep the files around
after completing to seed.  I just don't see this as being in very high
demand, and what demand there is can be filled by ordinary seeding
practices.

Brian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM