[BitTorrent] BT repeater?

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Wed Dec 8 11:24:25 EST 2004

Any caching system like this does need to modify the protocol (well there
are ways of getting round it). The basic problem is if you drop a piece
as you are out of disk space you need to send donthave messages so no one
asks you for it.

The alternative is to write a cache that just exits when it needs to make
more space, deletes some stuff, and then starts up again - this will slow
downloads in progress.

In order to not change the wire protocol, it would be possible to simply send a
new bitmap that overrides the old one at any time, but clients would have to
be modified to accept this.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM