[BitTorrent] Bittorrent in a gaming cafe

uptime_steve uptime_steve at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 27 01:51:03 EST 2004

Hi,

I work in a gaming cafe and am currently working on a project to use
bittorrent as an effective means of copying games from our server to
our client computers.  However, I ran in to a few problems with some
of the larger games.

Firstly, using 3.4.2 seemed somewhat better than 3.9.0 in terms of
speed.  no biggy, i'll just use 3.4.2.

Secondly, it seems the download rate of the files diminish quite
rapidly.  we're using a 100mbit network, and get transfer speeds
(using normal windows copy) of about 7meg / sec.  using bittorrent to
copy a file (just 1 seed and no other peers) started off at a healthy
7meg a second, but as the file went on, the speed slowly went down and
down.  w hat took 7 minutes using windows copy ultimately took half an
hour using bittorrent.  it scaled well though, obviously, taking about
35mins to 5 machines at once.  this is for a file a little over 1gb in
size.  i'm not sure whether this is it being choked, or some other
reason why.  is there a way i can 'hack the source' to completely
disable choking? it's being used in a controlled environment, so
tit-for-tat sharing isn't an issue - getting it out as quickly as
possible is.

Thirdly, i was getting major troubles when trying to copy games that
had a huge number of files (steam has over 1000 files in it).  i'd get
an error that too many files were open.  with linux it could be fixed
by using the command 'ulimit',  but it seems windows has no such
option.  any advice with this one?  I hear azerus gets around this
issue, but I really need the command line interface over the GUI,
since a lot of this is done remotely using rsh.

I'm comfortable with changing the source if i have to, but I've no
experience with python, nor am I any good at reading undocumented code.

thanks in advance :)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM