[BitTorrent] Re: suggestion for bitorrent: auto updates of DLs

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Sun Dec 19 16:07:56 EST 2004

> Olaf van der Spek wrote:

>> > As long as the piece order in the pieces properly matches the file
>> > order in the files list, the sort of the files list is arbitrary is
>> > it not?
>>
>> Well, another file order causes another info_hash.
>> But so do clients that add extra keys, so I don't think it's a real
>> problem.
>
> Most extra things that clients add are not put in the 'info' hash and
> thus don't affect the hash.
>
> There is no way that two torrents with the files in different order will
> have the same hashes, unless the file sizes just happen to fall on piece
> boundaries which is extraordinarily unlikely.  Thus the file list should

Eh, the file names/paths would have to be equal to, which makes no sense.

> be sorted so that that there isn't a chance of two torrents of the same
> files have differing pieces/hashes.

I know. My point was merely that it's not obvious and should be mentioned
explicitly.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM