[BitTorrent] TCP NAT Traversal

Karst Bjorgson karstbj at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 27 00:27:05 EST 2004

--- Saikat Guha <sg266 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Much as I would hope, IPv6 won't solve all the
> problems. Even if IPv6
> were to be universally deployed some day, people
> (and organizations)
> will still have firewalls that forbid incoming
> connections but allow
> outgoing connections. Even when both hosts are
> willing to be the ones to
> make that outgoing connections, the other side's
> firewall would drop
> it.

In fact, Windows XP/SP2 includes an implementation of
Teredo, i.e. IPv6 over UDP, for which Microsoft
provides a publicly available server. This is
specifically designed to traverse NATs.

It would make a lot of sense for BitTorrent nodes to
publish their IPv6 address when they have one, in
addition to their classic IPv4 address. It would
certainly increase the fraction of nodes that can
accept incoming connections.

It would also make sense, when running on Windows XP,
to enable IPv6...

-- BK

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail