[BitTorrent] Trackerless BitTorrent

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Dec 27 03:45:43 EST 2004

>From: apoipoi <apoipoi at yahoo.com>
> For example there are four people peers: A, B, C, D.
> 1. A has the complete file and makes the torrent.
> 2. B downloads and opens the torrent, which contains the address of A.
> 3. B connects to A.
> 4. A is now connected to B. Since B already knows A and there's no
> other address that might be of interes to B, no address is sent.
> 5. C tries to connect to A.
> 6. A is now connected to B, C.
> 7. A sends C the list of address, which currently only has B.
> 8. C now knows B and connects to B.
> 9. B is now connected to A, B. Since there's no connection known to B
> that is not know to C, then no address is sent.
> 10. D comes into the scene by trying to connect to (for something
> diffent), let's say to B.
> 11. B is now connected to A, C, D. B sends the list (A, C) to D.
> 12. D now knows, in addition of B, of A and C and tries to connect to
> both.
>
> The only necessary change to the torrent format is the list of
> addresses. Which can be affixed at the end. The creator of torrent
> would be the first in the list of course to ensure anyone can connect
> and start downloading. As the "network" grows, this addresses can be
> added to the torrent. The updated torrent file can be uploaded on the
> web. Instead of every new clients connecting to A, they can
> (randomly?) try B, C, or D. This will reduce the workload on A.

Two fatal weaknesses. First, you've replaced a tracker getting bombarded
with requests with the client A/torrent source getting bombarded with
requests. Second, you've missed an important effect of the first function
of the central tracker. That of keeping the network widely
interconnected. With this scenario a client will tend to connect with
nearby neighbors, forming cliches. With the tracker you'll get some
nearby connections, but also a bunch that span the network, a client
cannot do this.

> Admittedly I haven't really thought this through in details so there
> may be many mistakes and weaknesses. If this has been raised, my
> apologies.

Happens.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM