[BitTorrent] Bittorrent in a gaming cafe

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Dec 27 06:15:20 EST 2004

> > Hi,
> >
> > I work in a gaming cafe and am currently working on a project to use
> > bittorrent as an effective means of copying games from our server to
> > our client computers.  However, I ran in to a few problems with some
> > of the larger games.
> >
> > Firstly, using 3.4.2 seemed somewhat better than 3.9.0 in terms of
> > speed.  no biggy, i'll just use 3.4.2.
> >
> > Secondly, it seems the download rate of the files diminish quite
> > rapidly.  we're using a 100mbit network, and get transfer speeds
> > (using normal windows copy) of about 7meg / sec.  using bittorrent to
> > copy a file (just 1 seed and no other peers) started off at a healthy
> > 7meg a second, but as the file went on, the speed slowly went down and
> > down.  w hat took 7 minutes using windows copy ultimately took half an
> > hour using bittorrent.  it scaled well though, obviously, taking about
> > 35mins to 5 machines at once.  this is for a file a little over 1gb in
> > size.  i'm not sure whether this is it being choked, or some other
> > reason why.  is there a way i can 'hack the source' to completely
> > disable choking? it's being used in a controlled environment, so
> > tit-for-tat sharing isn't an issue - getting it out as quickly as
> > possible is.
> >
> > Thirdly, i was getting major troubles when trying to copy games that
> > had a huge number of files (steam has over 1000 files in it).  i'd get
> > an error that too many files were open.  with linux it could be fixed
> > by using the command 'ulimit',  but it seems windows has no such
> > option.  any advice with this one?  I hear azerus gets around this
> > issue, but I really need the command line interface over the GUI,
> > since a lot of this is done remotely using rsh.
>
> Hi,
>
> XBT Client supports up to about 2000 open file handles, but this is global,
> not-torrent. So you could only download a single torrent at a time.
> Would that be an option?
> It also has a simple command line interface and web interface.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbtt/

You may be better off putting all the files into a zip file/loopback image,
and then getting the client to read these after. I wouldnt be surprised if the
number of files was slowing you down too, as lots of small files mean extra
work for the clients as they have to split blocks that arrive or are sent
between files.