[BitTorrent] suggestion for bitorrent: auto updates of DLs

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Dec 15 04:15:40 EST 2004

>From: barrick75 <barrick75 at hotmail.com>
> But we have programs for that, right?  The idea really blossomed when
> I considered also having Website packages available via bittorrent.
> Maybe just a simple .zip of a website structure, or a .txt of a blog,
> but if it gets updated and you want to know about it, BitTorrent tells
> you!  And instead of chugging behind a net connection to view the
> site, you've already got it all local.  This could apply to other
> things too.  Version updates of virus defs or your favorite software,
> technical manuals in revision, etc.

This is a job for an RSS aggregator, not BT; BT is *strictly* file
transfer. You don't need to modify BT in any way, simply combine the
right things. BT is great for (large) file transfer, RSS is decent for
updates. If you want to, create a program that uses RSS to check for
updates, then BT to download. No BT changes needed.

> It would of course be necessary to incorporate some sort of digital
> signature.  You wouldn't want just anybody being able to make a new
> www.microsoft.com and claim it's official, or virus defs coming from
> virus makers.  And I think they key to dissuading abuse is
> *subscriptions*.  I can download a single copy of the blog and right
> then and there it can ask something like "do you want to subscribe to
> updates?" and I can say no and never worry about it, or say yes.  If I
> say yes, BT can periodically check to see if there are updates available.

This is yet another separate job. Here, you want PGP, which is for file
integrity/signing. BT uses cryptographic hashes (SHA1) to ensure data
integrity, so you only need to verify the Torrent file. Again, no need
for BT changes, just combine the existing ingredients.