[BitTorrent] The BitTorrent P2P file-sharing system | The Register

Vitenka vitenka at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 18 14:55:48 EST 2004

Bill Cox wrote:
> "We believe that all current implementations of the BitTorrent protocol
> exhibit a fundamental design flaw. Currently peers are punished for
> seeding, as their Internet connections are then used at maximum capacity
> to the significant benefit of other (downloading) peers. Instead of
> punishing seeders, peers should be given an incentive to seed, possibly
> at a bandwidth of their own choosing."

Apparently he's missed the bit where you can, you know, set your own
bandwidth limit?

Although it WOULD be nice to get upload 'credit' for one file on the
next file you download - but it's not ALL that likely that the peer list
will overlap and any system of transferring credits would probably be
quickly abused.