[BitTorrent] Slave vs. free repeaters

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri Dec 10 16:42:31 EST 2004

>From: Mike Ravkine <krypt at mountaincable.net>
> First, I think this idea has potential.  The only problem I can see with
> this scenario is that the master and the slave are duplicating their
> efforts by being interested in the same pieces.  For what you propose to
> be efficient, the master should be able to split up it's remaining
> pieces and assign the correct proportion (in terms of expected download
> rate?) of them to slaves.  This way the master and the slave could be
> downloading from different peers, and acting as kind of like a sub-swarm
> inside the main swarm.

This can be solved very simply. The slave(s) look at what pieces they can
get, decides on a piece that is a good one to get, and then informs the
master which goes and notifies all other slaves. The picker is then
modified to never retrieve a piece another slave (or the master) is
attempting to get. This boils down to replacing the old scenario where
the set of pieces you're interested in is the set that you don't have,
with the set of pieces you're interested in is the set that the group
doesn't have.

This also takes care of multiple slaves attempting to go after the same
piece. In this scenario it is useful to break the master into a master
portion and a slace portion. With the master handling its engine using
bandwidth to upload/download as simply another slave.