[BitTorrent] The BitTorrent P2P file-sharing system | The Register

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Sat Dec 18 13:29:09 EST 2004

Very interesting paper...

I especially liked this conclusion:

"We believe that all current implementations of the BitTorrent protocol
exhibit a fundamental design flaw. Currently peers are punished for
seeding, as their Internet connections are then used at maximum capacity
to the significant benefit of other (downloading) peers. Instead of
punishing seeders, peers should be given an incentive to seed, possibly
at a bandwidth of their own choosing."

I agree.  I'm coming along nicely with my BitTorrent slave repeater
(btslave.sourceforge.net).  Hopefully, we can address this problem.

Bill Cox