[BitTorrent] Slave vs. free repeaters

Mike Ravkine krypt at mountaincable.net
Fri Dec 10 16:01:53 EST 2004

Bill Cox wrote:

>I'll then modify the free repeater client to become a slave repeater.
>Rather than have it fairly choose peers to transfer file pieces with,
>it's going to immediately forward pieces it gets to a master peer of my
>choosing (my own normal BT client).  If it has no piece the master
>wants, it will try to obtain one by only being interested in connecting
>with peers that have pieces the master is missing.

First, I think this idea has potential.  The only problem I can see with
this scenario is that the master and the slave are duplicating their
efforts by being interested in the same pieces.  For what you propose to
be efficient, the master should be able to split up it's remaining
pieces and assign the correct proportion (in terms of expected download
rate?) of them to slaves.  This way the master and the slave could be
downloading from different peers, and acting as kind of like a sub-swarm
inside the main swarm.

--kRYPT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM