[BitTorrent] Re: Bittorrent in a gaming cafe

uptime_steve uptime_steve at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 27 09:47:32 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Justin Cormack <justin at s...> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I work in a gaming cafe and am currently working on a project to use
> > > bittorrent as an effective means of copying games from our server to
> > > our client computers.  However, I ran in to a few problems with some
> > > of the larger games.
> > >
> > > Firstly, using 3.4.2 seemed somewhat better than 3.9.0 in terms of
> > > speed.  no biggy, i'll just use 3.4.2.
> > >
> > > Secondly, it seems the download rate of the files diminish quite
> > > rapidly.  we're using a 100mbit network, and get transfer speeds
> > > (using normal windows copy) of about 7meg / sec.  using
bittorrent to
> > > copy a file (just 1 seed and no other peers) started off at a
healthy
> > > 7meg a second, but as the file went on, the speed slowly went
down and
> > > down.  w hat took 7 minutes using windows copy ultimately took
half an
> > > hour using bittorrent.  it scaled well though, obviously, taking
about
> > > 35mins to 5 machines at once.  this is for a file a little over
1gb in
> > > size.  i'm not sure whether this is it being choked, or some other
> > > reason why.  is there a way i can 'hack the source' to completely
> > > disable choking? it's being used in a controlled environment, so
> > > tit-for-tat sharing isn't an issue - getting it out as quickly as
> > > possible is.
> > >
> > > Thirdly, i was getting major troubles when trying to copy games that
> > > had a huge number of files (steam has over 1000 files in it).
i'd get
> > > an error that too many files were open.  with linux it could be
fixed
> > > by using the command 'ulimit',  but it seems windows has no such
> > > option.  any advice with this one?  I hear azerus gets around this
> > > issue, but I really need the command line interface over the GUI,
> > > since a lot of this is done remotely using rsh.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > XBT Client supports up to about 2000 open file handles, but this
is global,
> > not-torrent. So you could only download a single torrent at a time.
> > Would that be an option?
> > It also has a simple command line interface and web interface.
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbtt/
> >

> You may be better off putting all the files into a zip file/loopback
image,
> and then getting the client to read these after. I wouldnt be
surprised if the
> number of files was slowing you down too, as lots of small files
mean extra
> work for the clients as they have to split blocks that arrive or are
sent
> between files.

oh, that XBT sounds good actually.  the limit of one torrent at a time
isn't a problem at all - i can't think of anything off the top of my
head why we would need more than one at a time.  i'll check it out
tomorrow (it's kinda late at night at the moment).

the zip file idea sounds alright in theory, but it also means i have
to wait an additional large amount of time unzipping the thing,
especially if there's a large amount of files.

any ideas on the diminishing transfer rate? it starts off at 6mb/sec
but ends up going down to 1.5mb/s or less as time wears on, for large
files (>1gb)

thanks again :)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM