[BitTorrent] Re: Trackerless BitTorrent

Apostol Apostolov raynerape at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 11:23:56 EST 2004

> Trackers are designed as webserver where there is no active connection
> to any peer. It is not possible to send information about new peers to
> currently connected ones. Thus -- correctly if I'm wrong -- it is
> necessary to let peers request information periodically. With this new
> method, since there is already an active connection why not use it.
> And only sends information when needed, reducing the frequency to minimum.

And this will solve the bandwidth problem that many heavy load
trackers face. Instead checking with a tracker each X minutes, the
client actually needs to check only once and then can either use only
peers to gather new addresses or balance between the two methods in a
semi-random manner. For example, if right now a client checks with
tracker each 60 minutes, with source exchange it could check with
tracker each 180 minutes, and at 60th and 120th minute check with a
random peer. Depending on how many new peers came from another peer,
the client could consider if the next check should be another peer (if
a large amount just came, no need to go to tracker) or the tracker
(when very few or none at all new peers came, it's time ot check the
tracker). The effect in the example above would drop the load on the
tracker by 66%. Amazing thing, if you ask me, even if we don't
consider the benefit for removed torrents or dead trackers.