[BitTorrent] Re: Free rider problem

guanying_wang guanying_wang at yahoo.com.cn
Wed Dec 29 02:48:30 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Brian Dessent <brian at d...> wrote:
> guanying_wang wrote:
>
> > Thank you for reply.  Forget about my solution, since it's so
> > vulnerable.  How about the FREE-RIDER problem I mentioned?  I can get
> > everything without uploading a bit!
>
> Sure you can.  No one has ever doubted that you couldn't hack up a
> version of some client that wouldn't upload.  The point you're missing
> is that you will be down at the bottom of other peers' priority lists
> because you aren't sending anything to them.  That doesn't mean that you
> won't receive anything, just that the other peers that are actually
> uploading will get higher priority than you.  I don't see what the
> problem here is, the system is still working as designed.
>
> Brian

IMHO, using this kind of client is not fair to other downloaders.  I
carried out some experiment to test my idea, inside our university
LAN, and I found this no-upload client was damn good.  Even in a scene
with only the first seed, which I think is the most hard scene, I can
complete as fast as the first group who finish together.  I have to
admit my network is relatively better than others.

It's a prisoner's dilemma, use ordinary client to download also
upload, or use no-upload client with a lower priority.  If the major
choose to cooperate and some minor choose to cheat, the minor are
benefited.

What if everyone use the hacked client?  Sure everyone will get the
whole file at last, but the system degenerates to the FTP mode, which
everyone doesn't want to see.

So I want to prove this weakness of BitTorrent, and give a solution.

Guanying

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM