[BitTorrent] BT repeater?

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Fri Dec 10 12:03:27 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 16:51 +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > Good point.  Actually, I tried most of your suggested options yesterday
> > on Azureus, but I gave up on it (thus leading to this thread).  Unless a
> > lot of us are willing to do this type of custom configuration, it wont
> > help out much.  I think to make a big difference, a popular client like
> > Azureus would need to ship with a repeater mode enabled by default.  I
> > think a lot of people would not bother to turn it off, especially if the
> > client suggested that they leave it on to help others.
>
> What would be the advantage of a repeater compared to a regular user that
> keeps it's torrents open?

Simple: repeaters don't use much disk space, and can serve a large
number of torrents, looking for one that needs the bandwidth.  A normal
client that is kept open does about the same thing otherwise.

However, slave repeaters are much cooler.  I've started writing one, and
just registered it on SourceForge.

A slave repeater directly increases your normal BT clients download rate
by about 50% per repeater.  If you run one, and it gets other slave
friends, they could help you download anything at any time at your max
download speed, not your upload speed.  There's really no down-side.

Bill

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM