[BitTorrent] Re: suggestion for bitorrent: auto updates of DLs

romanbednarek roman at nr134.mikronika.com.pl
Sat Dec 18 05:23:14 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at L...>
wrote:
> Mike Ravkine wrote:
> > You can't "sort by hash" because individual files are not hashed.
> >
> > They are however sorted by path/filename for consistency.
>
> That's what Brian said already.
> But what part of the specs specifies this sort step?
>
> http://bittorrent.com/protocol.html

It is specified in the protocol, keys in any dictionary must be
sorted:
"Dictionaries are encoded as a 'd' followed by a list of alternating
keys and their corresponding values followed by an 'e'. For example,
d3:cow3:moo4:spam4:eggse corresponds to {'cow': 'moo', 'spam': 'eggs'}
and d4:spaml1:a1:bee corresponds to {'spam': ['a', 'b']} . Keys must
be strings and appear in sorted order (sorted as raw strings,
not
alphanumerics)."