[BitTorrent] SHA-0 Broken, MD5 Rumored Broken

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Aug 23 18:30:49 EDT 2004

>From: Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>
> High Pressure wrote:
> > either algorithm "broken". All that has happened so far is that
> > someone (allegedly) found a collission for a single hash value.
>
> All?
> The goal/purpose of secure hashing algorightms is to make it infeasable
> to compute/find collissions.
> This goal was clearly broken, so I think it's 'safe' to say the
> algorithm itself shouldn't be considered 'secure' anymore.

So far all I've seen is a single pair of strings that have the same hash
value. This could be obtained with a lot of luck. There seems to be more
than this though. So it does appear that MD5 is no longer /strongly/
collision free, but so far it appears that MD5 is still weakly collision
free. There has also been nothing said about SHA1 yet.

BitTorrent only requires the _weakly_ collision free property, and at the
moment the algorithm BT uses, SHA1, is in the clear. This is not yet a
severe problem for BitTorrent, only a warning sign.