[BitTorrent] Re: Reducing dependency on trackers

Gregorio Roper gregorio at gmx.li
Fri Aug 27 15:52:24 EDT 2004

dropnessence wrote:
> BitTorrent relies on the random distribution of peers via the tracker's peer cache. This
> [peer address request system] would invalidate that mechanism and make useless
> implementing support of BitTorrent in the first place.
Would you elaborate why the distribution of peers would become any less random
if I implement some messages to request and send peer addresses? Also, I don't
understand how this would make implementing BT support useless?

> I haven't seen an instable tracker that wasn't running some mucked up PHP system.
>
> This also allows something to download from a swarm without talking to the tracker first.
Yeah, so what?

> Since there isn't a secure way to authenticate the peer against the tracker, you also run
> into many other problems (DoS mentioned by Olaf van der Spek, poisoning peer lists,
> privacy, etc).
There are no immanent vulnerabilities that would allow DoS attack unless clients
  don't implement necessary precautions like ensuring that you do not retry a
peer address for a while after a request failed, - even if you receive this
address again.

Poisoning of peer lists is clearly not possible and I don't have issues with
having all peers downloading one torrent know about each other.

mfg
gregorio