[BitTorrent] SHA-0 Broken, MD5 Rumored Broken

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Mon Aug 23 09:32:20 EDT 2004

High Pressure wrote:
> It's somewhat sensationalist on both yours and Slashdot's part to call

I just copy/pasted things.

> either algorithm "broken". All that has happened so far is that
> someone (allegedly) found a collission for a single hash value.

All?
The goal/purpose of secure hashing algorightms is to make it infeasable
to compute/find collissions.
This goal was clearly broken, so I think it's 'safe' to say the
algorithm itself shouldn't be considered 'secure' anymore.

--
Olaf van der Spek
http://xccu.sf.net/