[BitTorrent] BT2 & hash trees

John Hoffman theshadow at shambala.net
Tue Aug 10 23:57:18 EDT 2004

>>The assumption that the same files can not be finded in the filesharing
>>network is false.
>>Actually, when a torrent die and Shareaza users have incomplete
>>torrents, thay are able to (Manually - sic.) search for the single files
>>over the networks Shareaza connect.
>>But they need to search using keywords and looking for the right
>>filesize, hoping to find the right copy of the files.
>>

>_I_'m assuming something? Seems like you're almost agreeing that it is a
>non-trivial exercise to find the same file on Shareaza...

Let me settle this very quickly.  BitTorrent has a VERY specific
purpose:  The mass distribution of LEGITIMATE data.  The assumption is
made that the owner of the content will create a DEDICATED SEED for that
content, and that the torrent will not die until the content owner
DECIDES it should.  Modifying BitTorrent for the sake of supporting
torrents like the ones used for w4r3z, where torrent spawners stop
seeding after a while and then leave the torrent hanging, is not
desirable and will NOT happen.  If you're looking for pirated content,
you should use some other system, perhaps Shareaza or whatever.  Maybe
something built on principles similar to BitTorrent would be nice, but
it will not BE BitTorrent.