[BitTorrent] SHA-0 Broken, MD5 Rumored Broken

Martin Nilsson yahoo at mani.user.lysator.liu.se
Fri Aug 20 17:59:37 EDT 2004

Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> If there is a break and it is severe, then they could start seeding
> incorrect pieces *now*. So _if_ there is a break, then BT definitely has
> a problem (then again thousands of other programs do too).

Since they needed 80 000 CPU hours on a 256 Intel-Itanium2 system to
produce two 2K blocks with matching SHA-0 hashes, it doesn't feel like a
pressing issue.

Also note that the hashes are not only dependent of hash algorithm, but
also of the chosen block size. If the clients are allowed to select the
piece length (think multiple TTH strings in a torrent, for different
piece lengths) I would be very impressed to see someone creating a
trashing seed.

/Martin Nilsson