[BitTorrent] Re: Reducing dependency on trackers

dropnessence bittorrent at networkessence.net
Wed Aug 25 17:42:04 EDT 2004

BitTorrent relies on the random distribution of peers via the tracker's peer cache. This
[peer address request system] would invalidate that mechanism and make useless
implementing support of BitTorrent in the first place.

I haven't seen an instable tracker that wasn't running some mucked up PHP system.

This also allows something to download from a swarm without talking to the tracker first.

Since there isn't a secure way to authenticate the peer against the tracker, you also run
into many other problems (DoS mentioned by Olaf van der Spek, poisoning peer lists,
privacy, etc).