[BitTorrent] Connect to bittorrent user at IP, port 6881

mitchua mitchua at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 23:42:46 EDT 2004

Continued from the Help forum:
> Mitchua asked,
>
> > Is there a way to connect to an arbitrary bittorrent user's IP, port
> > 6881 (by default) and get what pieces they need, etc.?
> >
> > I know port 6881 is open when I'm downloading but when I try to
telnet
> > to it, I am blocked. Is the BT client only allowing connections
from
> > the tracker and the users the tracker says it should exchange
with?

I'm actually writing a sig script. I want people to be able to point
it to their IP and BT port, have the script connect and determine what
torrents they are downloading, kind of like one of those "I'm
currently playing these MP3's" scripts. I know how to "talk" the BT
protocol; I'm just not clear on how to make that connection or if it's
even possible out of security concerns. Of course, we all know that if
you're downloading BT, big bro is watching ;-)

--Mitchua