[BitTorrent] BT2 & hash trees

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Wed Aug 11 12:35:13 EDT 2004

John Hoffman wrote:

>Let me settle this very quickly.  BitTorrent has a VERY specific
>purpose:  The mass distribution of LEGITIMATE data.  The assumption is
>made that the owner of the content will create a DEDICATED SEED for that
>content, and that the torrent will not die until the content owner
>DECIDES it should.  Modifying BitTorrent for the sake of supporting
>torrents like the ones used for w4r3z, where torrent spawners stop
>seeding after a while and then leave the torrent hanging, is not
>desirable and will NOT happen.  If you're looking for pirated content,
>you should use some other system, perhaps Shareaza or whatever.  Maybe
>something built on principles similar to BitTorrent would be nice, but
>it will not BE BitTorrent.

As the way the content is identified can be determining the type of
content is transmitted.
BitTorrent can be quite useful to single and little groups to spread
legitimate content.
Sometimes, this content can be controversial or unwelcome to some
parties, that could try and success in putting down the first source (in
fair and lawful .ways or not).
This is about freedom, redundancy and efficiency.

I remember you that:
not always legitimate data is lawful in all the world's countries;
more than a few countries don't defend or promote the freedom of their
citizens.

I concede that when you let someone to be free, you must foresee that
someone will abuse of this.

But the US Framers had expressed better than me, in many speeches and
writings, because it is better having freedom than security.

Mirco