[BitTorrent] Re: Reducing dependency on trackers

Gregorio Roper gregorio at gmx.li
Sat Aug 28 04:06:34 EDT 2004

Doug Granzow wrote:
>>>This also allows something to download from a swarm without talking to
>>
>>the tracker first.
>>Yeah, so what?
>

> I think it would be very desirable for a file distributor to be able to
> control who can download the file.  It would also be desirable to have the
> ability to shut down the swarm in the event distribution of the file
> needed to be stopped.  This can be done now via the tracker, but adding
> the ability to hook into a swarm without talking to the tracker would take
> away those capabilities.  It also breaks the ability of the tracker to
> keep statistics on how many clients are in the swarm, etc.  In other
> words, the tracker would no longer be able to, well, track.

Being able to keep statistics is nice but I don't see how these statistics could
ever be accurate if the clients didn't want send proper tracker requests. If the
clients are well-behaved, they will still send tracker requests regularly and
the trackers get their statistics.
As far as the ability to shut down the swarm is concerned, - the trackers will
still be able to keep new clients from entering the swarm.

mfg
gregorio